We've tried something a bit different this time around by splitting the topic of this Condo Crunch into two parts. This is part one of our discussion about construction issues. In this episode:
1. Jim talks about tendering construction contracts, an introduction and overall summary of the subject at 1:46
2. David then talks about some key provisions to be mindful of in CCDCs: 16:57
3. Christy finishes things off this time with a discussion on indemnification and insurance provisions: 33:41
Make sure to follow our social feeds and website for more info about Part II! You can register for the live session that is happening on October 29 here.
This is a recording of our summer Q&A session that occurred on August 20, 2021. Here's a summary of the topics discussed and applicable time stamps
- Jim Davidson - reserve funds/investments: 1:58
- Jessica Weick - liens/condo amalgamation/alterations to common elements: 9:20
- Emily Deng - directors: 15:28
- Mohiminol Khandaker - Enforcement: 21:10
- Cheryll Wood - Meetings: 31: 02
- Victoria Craine - Insurance: 40:51
- David Lu - by-laws/rules: 49:01
Another Q&A session is coming in the Fall! Condo Crunch sessions are also upcoming.
This is a recording of a condo crunch that happened on June 24, 2021. In this latest edition, Jessica, Jim, and Melinda get together to talk about changes to a condominium's governing documents and when perhaps an amendment is necessary
1. Jessica talks about changes to declarations at 2:58
2. Jim talks about changes to a corporation's by-laws at 8:28
3.Melinda talks about changes to rules and policies 22:54
As for Jim's slides, those can be found here.
Find our latest episode of Condopedia on our website and on major platforms such as Podbean, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts , Stitcher, and many other platforms!
We are back with another Condo Crunch. In this episode, the team talks about common element modifications. Nancy, as usual, acts as chair person.
1. Victoria's comments about common element modifications by condominiums: 1:43
2. Emily provides some examples: 9:37
3. Jessica's comments on common element modifications by owners: 12:06
4. Emily provides some examples: 15:47
5. Nancy's closing comments on changes to common elements: 19:19
These condo crunches are live and are held about a month apart. If you miss them though, you can always catch em here at Condopedia.
This is a recording of a webinar recorded on February 25, 2021. We dealt with questions such as: COVID policies and the idea of screening individuals at condominiums, amending a condominium's governing documents, difficult owners/hoarding, upcoming condominium act amendments, and more.
The blog with the questions and answers that were dealt with when the technical difficulties occured is here: https://dhacondolaw.ca/condo-law-news/dha-qa-condo-communications/
What happens if condo residents are not complying with a condominium's governing documents or the Condominium Act? Nicole & David provides a general overview of this very broad topic, all within the lens of a recent condo compliance matter in BC that found its way onto the mainstream media.
The published decisions on Canlii (as of date of publishing this episode) regarding the proceeding between The Owners, Strata Plan VR 812 and Emily Yu are: 2017 BCCRT 82, 2018 BCSC 2439, 2019 BCSC 693, 2019 BCSC 2340.
As indicated in the episode, we will touch on the topics of costs and mediation/arbitration in future episodes!
We're back with another episode of Condopedia. Jim talks with David about what decisions require owners' involvement under Ontario Condominium Law.
This is a recording of a Q&A session that the lawyers of DHA conducted on December 18, 2020.
Timestamp of questions are as follows:
- Smoking infiltration/migration - Victoria: 5:01
- Noise - Melinda: 11:40
- Enforcement - Mohiminol: 16:12
- Meeting/Voting & Financial Statements - Cheryll 23:29
- Reserve Funds - Jim: 26:46
- "Difficult" Residents - Emily: 31:03
- Fees for rental units - Nicole: 37:11
- Liens - Jessica - 39:46
- Updating Declarations - Jim: 44:20
- Playing Christmas music in the PA/Announcement system - David: 50:26
- Corporate Records - Christy: 55:54
Wishing everyone a happy holidays from all of us at DHA
Our firm's most recently minted lawyer, Mo Khandaker, speaks with David about some latest developments on COVID-19 issues at condominiums. Mo is one of our resident experts on COVID-19 related condo issues. The two predominant topics are: what to do with amenities and dealing with owners meetings.
You can find more info on Mo here: https://davidsoncondolaw.ca/lawyers/mohiminol-khandaker/